RE: Electronics Challenge!

  • Subject: RE: Electronics Challenge!
  • From: Ian Davidson
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 14:03:00 +0000

Hi Tony

Just another thought, I was thinking along similar lines as you. My
solution was to send the serial data over the mains. It has many
advantages, no extra cables, no problem with multi drop etc as there is
no tx/rx cables! There are disadvantages, speed limited to 2400 being
the main one. Over all it would allow for two masters, and the backup
would be able to see and talk to the main unit. Just thought I would
mention it as it is sometimes forgotten.

Ian D

Exactly.
I'd like every rs232 (and similar) device to be lan connected, that way
all
my serial ha hardware can be seperated from the ha server. In doing
this, it
will be possible to have a backup ha server running without the need to
have
a duplicate of all attached hardware. I'm sure there are other ways of
doing
this, but having everything tcpip appeals to me.

I'll take a look at the rocket thingy...

Thanks
Tony