xPLHal and Multi-threading

  • Subject: xPLHal and Multi-threading
  • From: Tony T
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:46:00 +0000

Hi all,

Just an update.

I _think_ I've sussed a way to multi-thread the vbscripting, hopefully will
have something up and running by late Sunday.

My biggest concern is what the consequences of running multiple concurrent
scripts will be, with regard to accessing things like global variables
etc...

Also, my meteor cid script relies on a lot of different messages types
interacting, so if that continues to work it will be a good sign.

As each messages script will be launched in it's own thread, vbscript
globals etc will not work across messages - only across the code for a
single message, and only for the life of the thread. Since xPLHal supports
it's own globals, I don't think this will be an issue.

Currently xPLHal holds all the scripts in memory at once (by loading each
script into a single large script), this allows routines in different files
to be called instantly but also means routines can be stored logically in
different files.

I'm going to continue to let it work this way, and monitor the amount of
memory used. Since most scripts end pretty quickly it shouldn't be a
problem.

If anyone has any recommendations/comments I'd be glad to hear them before
write too many of the changes.

Many thanks
Tony