Re: Osd Row Question

  • Subject: Re: Osd Row Question
  • From: Ian Lowe
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:25:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "John" <<a
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=Ek2lDkE171JiaBf4EGd5q1-E2fwN599irjSPNynECl6b4ETkF7CCNvoTq-VQQ5bS_QkqnhNwPaqz5sZnOMhLqsir-baTew">home-automation@j...</a>>
To: <<a
href="/group/ukha_xpl/post?postID=pS_tpjqMu4ntewO7LAja7_ycAXJule9d4ye2ftgY1wcP8AMcEPN4fvJfy9z-kwHxx2Nc-wWRxc5ttVwsuCtEM1te">ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx</a>>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [ukha_xpl] Osd Row Question

> Hi Frank,
>
> I'd stick with using the ASCII characters - at least that way it will
be
> easier to read your messages using the xPL monitor.

Yep, this is something we need to revisit with some of the original data
formats as well: rather than using arbitrary binary values, we need to make
sure these things are encoded in a standard way: it's one of the key things
I spoke about in my Sunday presentation at UKHA2003 (which was reasonably
technical)

There are a few formats at the moment that will be formed up over the
coming
days and weeks. It's really important to get these right at this stage, as
modding the data formats at a later date will break things.

> I'm not even sure if binary characters are allowed - I'm sure Tony/Ian
> will confirm.

Nope. ASCII Characters at all times over the wire.

Also, where a "gateway" application translates between a low
level protocol
(like Keith's KAT5 Switcher for example) and the xPL network, the gateway
is
expected to translate the low level control codes into something more
meaningful..

Keith and I discussed this at UKHA2003 on the last day, and whereas the
KAT5
switcher uses a command (from memory!) like ^V4S12 to tell the switch to
output AV Source twelve, on output 4, the "on the wire" xPL
version of the
command would be:

ZONE=4
SOURCE=12

Or possibly using labels to make the "4" and "12" a
little more readable. In
any case, the gateway app/hardware is expected to carry out the required
conversion.

Ian.