Re: Re: XPL CM12 Service

  • Subject: Re: Re: XPL CM12 Service
  • From: John B
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 18:16:00 +0000

Hi Darren,

> I started coding a .NET assembly to access the CM12 directly some
> time ago but never finished it. I did get basic commands working
> though. I used the John Hind's RS232 classes as descibed in his
> article for MSDN Magazine (October 2002)

I have written an XPL CM12 controller service in .NET (see Ian's post),
however
it uses the Homeseer ActiveX component, and I'm not very happy with the way
it
fits together - there have been some issues with COM/.NET interoperating,
and I
don't think the Homeseer CM12 component is the best written in the world,
as it
in turn uses the VB MSCOMM32 component, so there's a lot of links in the
chain
to go wrong.

I'd like to take another look at it when I get a moment, with a view to
making
it talk directly to the CM12 via something like the RS232 classes you
describe -
IMO it will be a much neater and reliable solution than the present
version.

If you fancy making your version into an XPL-compliant app, I have written
an
XPL library for .NET in the form of a .NET assembly - it contains classes
for
sending/receiving XPL messages and means you can add XPL functionality to
your
app in a matter of minutes.
Details are at <a href="http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/xpllib";>http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/xpllib</a>
The docs are way out of date - I'll hopefully get them updated and get a
tutorial up there soon.

Alternatively, if you fancy making the code available that you've got so
far, I
wouldn't mind taking a look at it with a view to finishing it off into a
full
XPL app.

Regards,

John