Linux Kernel Issue

  • Subject: Linux Kernel Issue
  • From: Tony T
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:23:00 +0000

Hi all,

Just wondering if any linux gurus on the list could answer a question for
me
please?

When I boot my diskless kernel it shows
Kernel 2.4.18-3custom on an i686

I just want it to be 2.4.18-3 (i.e. drop the custom)
As it causes problems finding files in /lib/modules/2.4.18-3
I tried the simple method of renaming the directory,
But other stuff is looking for the directory without the custom bit
Currently I have a copy of the directory (so I have both), but
That isn't going to help me in streamlining the file system for a ram disk
image!

So far, I'm network booting the kernel from a windows xp pc,
But as there seems to be no nfs server for windows that supports all the
oddities(?) of the nfs file system I'm having to use a linux pc to server
up
the file system. Once I have a small enough file system to create a ramdisk
image the whole thing will boot from xp (or any os I should think). It's
booting (and shutting down) and running great so far though :-)

Only issue I do have is that the usb initialisation is erroring, but I
think
I might have deleted something I shouldn't have!

Many thanks
Tony