RE: Rioplay xPL the plan

  • Subject: RE: Rioplay xPL the plan
  • From: Tony T
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:16:00 +0000

> Only that your going to be well on the way to writing your
> own server software is you're not careful :) .. but that's not
> a particularly a bad thing...

It would probably be easier as well, as there would be no need to interface
with the existing servers...

My pet project though, is one of these for each main room:

Hardware:
Via Eden 5000 Mobo
64/128mb Memory
Case (or DC PSU, Loudspeaker and Home made case)
Phillips Toucam USB Pro Camera
Cost of above £150 to £200 ?

Optional: In-case Amplifier
Optional: Wireless Lan / PC Riser Card

OS:
Linux Boot from NFS Partition

Free Software to Achieve:
Web/Ftp Server
Webcam Video Capture
Webcam Video/Audio Streaming
MP3 Playback from JREC/Rio Original Software
Shoutcast Playback
Announcements via built-in speaker/External Speakers

All xPL Controlled... of course

Maybe:
Video streaming to local tv from ripped source server/Tivo

I've gathered the test hardware, just waiting for a slim-line dvd to arrive
(another optional extra) so I can load linux onto a temporary harddrive.
Figured it would be best to use a local harddrive for testing/development
and then create an image for nfs?

Regards
Tony