RE: Help please was Web front end for Rioplay xPL

  • Subject: RE: Help please was Web front end for Rioplay xPL
  • From: John B
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:48:00 +0000

Hi Tony,

Am I right in thinking you have written a DLL in VB6 using the Winsock
control,
that you are trying to use under IIS?

If so, I've had many problems using the WInsock control under IIS -
unfortunately the Winsock
control was designed with asynchronous operation in mind, and that just
doesn't
work well in combination with the synchronous nature of an IIS web page
request.

The most reliable approach (IMO) is to call the Winsock API directly from
VB,
that
way you can do everything synchronously without needing loops, and calls to
DoEvents etc.

Is the source for this project available anywhere? I'd be happy to take a
look
and
offer any assistance.

Writing a dedicated web server seems like a lot of work for something which
should be perfectly
at home running under IIS.

Regards,

John