Re: Fw: error checking +Instance Question

  • Subject: Re: Fw: error checking +Instance Question
  • From: John B
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:38:00 +0000

Hi Frank,

> With the error checking what i have done is anything under and
> including the mispelt option are defaulted as the message is not
aligned
> with my table.....so if column is mispelt then column ,delay and alert
will
> default.......maybe better to discard the message ???

Yes, I think you might be right - probably better to reject the message,
otherwise it could potentially be quite confusing to the user.

> > Instances can be between 1 and 16 bytes long.
> > So I guess you could allocate a fixed 16 bytes and just use zero
padding
> for instances that >are under 16 bytes?
>
> When you say zero padding do you mean ...frank000000...or white
space....I
> was hoping a fixed 7 or 8 character instance...

The spec says a maximum of 16 characters, but there is nothing to stop
people
using a shorter instance name.
So I was thinking you could use padding (whitespace would do fine) to make
shorter instances up to 16 characters.
Instances themselves are not allowed to contain whitespace, so you'd know
as
soon as you hit your first whitespace character that you'd reached the end
of
the real instance name.

Regards,

John