RE: Re: config

  • Subject: RE: Re: config
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:37:00 +0000

> Could I also register interest in this.

It's on my website in the vb6 section

> Catching up on this group after a long message, I seem to be
> getting the message that to support certain types of device a
> configuration manager has to be running as they boot to rename it.
> Is this the case? I'd view this as a significant issue, as
> what I would expect is that once a system is configured and
> stable, it should just operate. This appeared to be a
> significant xPL advantage; the lack of the requirement of
> central intelligence.

We have to cater for all types of devices, including the simplest that can
remember nothing in the way of a name or config. Having a config manager
running is the only practical way to achieve this.

Currently John's xpllib.dll for .net applications stores it's instance and
config to come up instantly configured.

My xpl.ocx acts like a dumb device and remembers only it's instance (though
this may well change shortly) and get's it's config restored by the manager
process. The linux stuff is currently the same. Mainly I took this approach
to ensure the config system was as fully tested as possible.

Having a config manager running is no different to having a DHCP server
running? As with dhcp, unless you want to change something, it just sits
there doing it's thing.

> I think this was it:
>
> >On reboot it would go back to 12345 (or whatever) but xplhal would
> >automatically put it back to KITCHEN ready for use

If a device cannot remember it's name & config, there is no other
way?
Unless we say you can only have one of these devices.

Regards
Tony