RE: Rules for Instance WAS PIC testing WAS OSD ALERT

  • Subject: RE: Rules for Instance WAS PIC testing WAS OSD ALERT
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:38:00 +0000

> Presumably then, the unit wouldn't need to listen for a
> config message, but just come up ready to run?

It would come up with a config if it doesn't remember it's other settings,
and my preference is that all devices (pretty much, but there are
exceptions) would come up in config mode.

BTW I mentioned earlier that xplhal would send a sequence of configs to a
device that couldn't remember it's assigned instance, but comes up with
pre-defined instance. Actually it cycles thru the configs by v-d.instance
and only sends the latest.

> What happens if you have identical but reconfigurable units
> that both come on at the same time? How do you differentiate
> between them for the purposes of sending config messages?

For initial (install) config you only bring one up a time (the only time
they should have the same instance is if they come up with 'default', which
then must be changed).

Regards
Tony