RE: Rules for Instance WAS PIC testing WAS OSD ALERT

  • Subject: RE: Rules for Instance WAS PIC testing WAS OSD ALERT
  • From: Tony Tofts
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:27:00 +0000

Something I didn't cover was how a unique instance might be set on a
hardware device like a pic

Some examples

Hardcoded to a single instance (only 1 per network)

Generate unique instance e.g. ip address (for ethernet enabled)

Each device built/burned with a unique id (same principle as nic mac
address)

Jumpers

Particularly for serial attached to a pc, a piece of software (based on
something like xpl_devcom that assigns unique instance per com port)

And I'm sure we can think of a few others

Regards
Tony