Re: Re: PIC testing WAS OSD ALERT

  • Subject: Re: Re: PIC testing WAS OSD ALERT
  • From: Frank Mc Alinden
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:56:00 +0000

Hi Steve

>tvosd is fine - the device ID just need to be 8 valid (a-z, A-Z, 0-9)
>characters or less.

Wasnt sure if i needed permission to use it....

>I think it achieves all that is required while still keeping the
>separation
>between header and body. Where by the header get the message to the
>device
>and body then details what to do when it gets there. This is one of
>the
>key differences between xPL and xAP, in xAP you either need to store
>or
>reparse the header details in order to determine which device or zone
>you
>need to work with.

Sorry dont fully understand what your saying here...

>Out of interest what is the best way to get the timing (say every 5
>minutes) for a heartbeat. Either use a chip with an internal clock
>and do
>time compares or work out the processing time for one pass of the code
>and
>divide the time through by that? Or someway else that I don't know
>about?

Not sure if this is the best way but heres what i do...Its not
accurate...for
instance my delay timer for the osd message when set for 90 sec is a couple
of
seconds out....
I enable Timer O interrupts and update a Counter which gives me approx 1
second
and use that as a base....Surely the xpl hal will allow plus or minus x
seconds??? maybe even allow 1 missed heartbeat ??? Dont think a real time
clock
required for this....Think Ian Bird has some pic code for timing???

Frank

> Ok Good...Im going to change the the Target...aec-tvosd.default
> aec is a registered vendor id..can i use steves sample ...tvosd..??
> and i assume a non configured device would have default....?

tvosd is fine - the device ID just need to be 8 valid (a-z, A-Z, 0-9)
characters or less.

> Nice Work on the Multiple Instances /Zoning Schemas...;-))

I think it achieves all that is required while still keeping the separation
between header and body. Where by the header get the message to the device
and body then details what to do when it gets there. This is one of the
key differences between xPL and xAP, in xAP you either need to store or
reparse the header details in order to determine which device or zone you
need to work with.

> I think i will have a go at getting the heartbeat going first then

Out of interest what is the best way to get the timing (say every 5
minutes) for a heartbeat. Either use a chip with an internal clock and do
time compares or work out the processing time for one pass of the code and
divide the time through by that? Or someway else that I don't know about?

S.

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy or otherwise use it and do not disclose it to anyone else.
Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete the
message from your system.
Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.
Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service and for
security and regulatory purposes.
Thank you for your assistance.