RE: xPL_HomeVision and web tidy up

  • Subject: RE: xPL_HomeVision and web tidy up
  • From: John B
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 17:15:00 +0000

> > Out of curiosity, why would you want to run the xPL app on
> > a different box to the HV app?
>
> It was a question really to explore options - I have two HomeVision
> units and hence run two instances of the HomeVision app on different
> machines. One machine I was hoping to have xPLHAL on and the other a
native
> xAP hub (no xPL). A few possibilities I guess - I could run xPL Hal on
both
> machines and disable the inbuilt xAP hub on one - or possibly I could
just
> run the xPL HV appication without a hub at all (as a single
application) but
> I am not sure if this is viable ? Does the config feature now require
xPL
> Hal be present ? The second HV machine is also my HA server so I try
and
> minimise the number of things running on that to my core needs for
stability
> reasons..

Hi Kevin,

You only need one xPLHal instance on your network to handle the
config/scripting
stuff.

On your second machine, (your main HA server), you could just install the
HV xPL
app and a stand-alone xPL hub.
(there is either my .NET service, or Tony's VB6 version - if it's Win2k or
above
I'd recommend my .NET service, as it will run with nobody logged onto the
machine)

This leaves you free to run the xAP hub of your choice on your second HA
server,
whilst xPLHal will run on your first server along with the other instance
of the
HV app.

Hope that made sense!

Regards,