CRC16

Hi Everybody,

New to the group, I only started looking xAP about a month ago.

I'm developing a RS485 style network with AVR devices. The wire protocol
should allow me to detect collisions but I would like to put CRC16 error
checking into the devices. Although the Protocol definition talks about
CRC16, it doesn't state which polynomial is the preferred one.

The AVR libraries have have already coded:

Optimized CRC-16 calculation.
Polynomial: x^16 + x^15 + x^2 + 1 (0xa001)
Initial value: 0xffff

Optimized CRC-CCITT calculation.
Polynomial: x^16 + x^12 + x^5 + 1 (0x8408)
Initial value: 0xffff

Optimized Dallas (now Maxim) iButton 8-bit CRC calculation.
Polynomial: x^8 + x^5 + x^4 + 1 (0x8C)
Initial value: 0x0

Optimized CRC-XMODEM calculation.
Polynomial: x^16 + x^12 + x^5 + 1 (0x1021)
Initial value: 0x0

Can anyone give me a pointer on which way to go?

Thanks

Alan