Addressing vs Commands

Hi, all

I'm currently trying to write a new Java API for xAP (more Java orented).
I'm wondering about the way xAP use command instead of address.

While reading the X10 doc, I discovered that sending an On/Off to a
single lamp take the form :

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF123400
class=xap-x10.request
source=acme.my.controller
target=rocket.cm12u.home
}
xap-x10.request
{
command=on
device=L1
}

I'm wondering why the device address is not L1 ... I mean something
like this:

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF123400
class=xap-x10.request
source=acme.my.controller
target=rocket.cm12u.L1
}
xap-x10.request
{
command=on
}

or target=rocket.cm12u.home:L1

I understand that xAP is gateway centric and you send message to the
gateway directly .. but by this way the gateway can't announce the
"embeded devices" ..

I mean the way X10 schema works right now, mean you can't use xAP by
this way :
- configure the gateway (here the xap-X10) with the embedded devices
(lamp, switches etc etc .. )
- look thought the HB packet to discover devices (lamps, switches..)
- build an IHM with the discovered device.

So each time, you want to use another controller (A web interface, a
IR, or an Android APP) you must configure it for each device, and that
sucks no ?

I maybe missed something ?

Thanks for any help. Bye.
--