Re: Moving to TSC?

  • Subject: Re: Moving to TSC?
  • From: "Daniel Berenguer" <dberenguer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:29:14 -0000

This is something that we can't postpone IMO. Although I had expected
a higher interest on this subject, I agree with Lehane in that someone
should take the first step and try to implement TSC into a controller. This
would give us a better idea about the strengths and weakness of TSC in
embedded devices and maybe will inspire other developers as well.

In a few weeks, Kevin H and me are going to work on a TSC implementation
for opn-mbs. This will give us the opportunity to take a more practical
glance at the issue. We'll come back then with new questions so we'll be
able to start a debate in a proper way.

Daniel.

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, "Daniel Berenguer"
<dberenguer@...> wrote:

> I support Lehane's proposal about re-working TSC. I think that, with
some minor changes, TSC could become pretty usable, even for embedded
devices with current BSC support.

<g8kmh@> wrote:

> > Kevin,
> > I think xAPBSC and TSC can only co-exist in some simpler devices
- my
> > current (only) implementation is for the TOM10 where (a) the code
is C#
> > .NET and so space isn't an issue and (b) the xAPBSC
implementation
> > hasn't changed from a previous version. Where the complexity of
TSC is
> > required then xAPBSC may be a subset, typically I'd expect for
> > status/reporting purposes rather than control, although gross
control
> > (on/off) could be either.
> >
> > Given the status of TSC and the low number of adopters maybe we
should
> > look at some revisions or even deprecation of some elements in
order to
> > help adoption?
> >
> > Lehane
> >

> > Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> > >

> > > I had always envisaged BSC and TSC both existing side by
side and
> > > hopefully being supported by nearly all devices. My hope
with TSC was
> > > that it would be sufficiently similar to BSC that it could
share large
> > > areas of code and not really incur any extra overhead in
supporting both
> > > rather than just say TSC. In a way TSC being BSC with extra
parameters
> > > and a relaxation of some constraints on existing ones (eg
decimal
> > > places, negative values etc). Obviously by it's nature TSC
will be
> > > more involved than BSC.
> > >
> > > At this stage I'm feeling we haven't quite achieved that but
maybe
> > > others don't agree with an intention ever to try and do so ?
Having
> > > played a little with TSC it doesn't present that commonality
- maybe
> > > that's the nature of the beast - but I have a few
reservations about the
> > > schema and had great difficulty in creating a sensible model
> > > implement it alongside BSC. Lehane - have you actually got
both BSC
> > > and TSC fully implemented in your embedded devices ?

BSC and TSC
> > > shouldn't be mutually exclusive. However, managing multiple
schemas
> > > into embedded devices is sometimes hard to do, mainly if
both schemas
> > > don't follow identical mechanisms. Embedded controllers have
limited
> > > flash space and the UDP parsing must be done in a very
dynamic way.
> > > Thus, I would prefer to deal with a single schema for
embedded
> > > devices. That's all. Other more powerful controllers like
opn-max
> > > could manage (and map) as many schemas as nedded.

> > > future thread. At this moment, I just wanted to know about
other xAP
> > > developers currently working (or planning to work) on a xAP
TSC

Kevin T<kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
replacement for BSC. I am
> > > sure this

handing analog
> > > rather
BSC was always a

been alongside
> > > BSC, and
xap-temperature. There is no
they can co-exist,

(g8kmh)<g8kmh@> wrote:

> [...]
adoption is there
> > > are few
Hammering out the
> > > remaining issues

xAP adoption to a
> > > new level.
Floorplan (James has
> > > some hooks
applications/mappers over time
> > > but right
and Egg.

to migrate to xAP TSC
considering doing the
wanted to do a first try
data was being pushed
had to coexist most of
units at the end of the
parsing on other BSC
to know which kind of
This is what I call the
temperature controller can understand the
little programming on the

specify the type of data
to xAP BSC would make

about the type of data