From: xAP_developer@xxxxxxx [mailto:xAP_developer@xxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kevin Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, 17 September 2009 10:08 PM
To: xAP_developer@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [xAP_developer] xAP v1.3

Hi Neil,

Glad it's all progressing. I think this sort of issue does need a solution
so glad you're tackling it. A couple of thoughts.

I would try and avoid actually altering the xAPBSC schema messages if
possible eg by adding extra parameters as that will create a non standard
implementation but you should I think be able to do what you want without
that anyway - by just creating extra BSC endpoints for the
WatchDog_Timeout_Enable and others and then setting them directly using a
second block in the same message. The xAP spec does however allow you to
include extra parameters should you wish.

In your system the constant 'tickle' by the PC does reaffirm the state but
what would happen if another controller changed the state of the device ?
Then the originating controller would change it back again. Now you could
monitor all 'event' messages from that endpoint to recognise that another
device had originated a change I suppose , or indeed all messages targeted
at that device, and then backoff as the owning controller. It would require
that any controller wanting to interact with your device implemented the
tickle process however. This I suppose might mandate the xAPBSC.cmd
actually
have some identification within the message that it can 'tickle' - which a
dual block message would.
Might need some thinking with regard to multiple controllers and other
existing controllers being able to interact.

Re SNTP - my embedded gateway implements it but I'm not aware of a
standalone xAP app - seems like an obvious one for someone to write - and
there is an existing xAP date/time schema.

Being able to configure BSC devices (likely using a schema similar to
BSC) is something we really need . It's also part of a much larger xAP
config need that Patrick mentioned. I have the same need in my C-Bus
gateway
in terms of matching the endpoint names to those configured in the C-Bus
Toolkit software. I know someone is working on this and so I'll ask them to
contact you (and Patrick) offlist and see if we can come up with something
useful to all.