Re: xAP TSC - A callup request :-)

  • Subject: Re: xAP TSC - A callup request :-)
  • From: "estratosapiens" <dberenguer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:54:50 -0000

Hi Kevin,

I can't speak for others but I was waiting for a wider adoption of TSC
before doing the jump :-)

Anyway, I agree that xAP applications will never adopt TSC if no device is
using this schema so it's maybe time to do something on this issue. I could
try to work on a TSC implementation for my new designs (opn-mbs, ...) as a
way of getting in touch with this new schema. Later, once TSC will be
ratified, I could port the work to older designs (opn-one and opn-max).

I believe that TSC brings some important improvements to the
control&monitoring scenario with regards to the old BSC schema. On the
other hand, maintaining multiple protocols/schemas in an embedded device is
something costly in my opinion. This was my case for the first versions of
opn-one and opn-x10 where xAP BSC, xAP X10 and xPL shared a common place in
both gateways. Later, I decided to switch to xAP BSC only because it was
far easier to maintain and simpler to understand by non-xAP people. This is
the key in my opinion, xAP needs to be something easy to understand and
wasy to work with.

There are some other features about TSC that would need to be reconsidered
IMHO and I'll try to address these points from a different thread. I
understand that TSC (v42) is just a draft so I'll try to introduce my point
of view (if it's not too late...)

Regards,

Daniel.

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...>
wrote:

> We have a bit of a Catch22 situation with xAP TSC.    Until we have
> supporting applications then people don't want to write data sources
and
> vica versa and we can't ratify TSC into xAPTSC until it has some real
> world experience...   Hence xAPBSC is being abused as non appropriate
> data is shoehorned in, aprticularly by representing numeric data as a
> text device.   So here's a call to xAP Developers to add support for
TSC