Re: Re: java xAPlib bug

  • Subject: Re: Re: java xAPlib bug
  • From: Jon Payne <jgpayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:49:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Patrick,

I'm sorry, I in no way meant to sound like I was complaining. It's
fantastic to that these things are available and I really appreciate you
making it available. There are always issues in all software. I have used
and paid (on the companies behalf) a lot of money for commercial libraries
etc that weren't a scratch on open source software, yours included!   The
main work I've put in to changes to the software you provided was to:
a) change it to work with java1.1/1.2 (old collections libraies e.g.
elementAt) because that's all the TINI supports and
b) to make the building of xAP messages more basic and hence more efficient
(basically just doing string concatenation!) on the rather horsepower
limited TINI. As I mentioned to Shaf changing it still results in TINI
taking over 1 second to construct and send a message! It's a bit slow but
serves it purpose well enough. I've squeezed a basic, and slow, websver in
too which is useful for debugging.

You make a very good point about open source and it's to my shame that I
haven't published my software on a web page, I did email it to someone who
emailed me and have got bits and peices of a website lying around but it's
always a question of finding the time, but I should use more of the time
available to make it available to others as you have so generously done.

Thanks,
Jon