UIDs

I'm sure I'm going to ask a dumb question, but I printed the whole
protocol definition (and, of course, read it) and I still have a
doubt regarding UIDs. Are UIDs assigned by a central authority? Or
are UIDs relevant only in the current subnet where UDP packets are
broadcasted?

I'm going to add xAP support to SpeedFan. SpeedFan is a Windows
hardware monitoring tool that can read temperatures, fan speeds and
voltages in a PC. Is it correct if the xap-header sent by SpeedFan is:

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF671100
class=PC.status
source=almico.speedfan.officepc
}

?

Or should I force the user to configure by hand the "6711" part
of
the "FF671100" UID in order to ensure unicity?

Thank you.