MWI handling

  • Subject: MWI handling
  • From: Gregg Liming <gregg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:59:14 -0400

Does anyone know of a schema that addresses message-waiting-indicator
(MWI) other than CID.Meteor's Incoming.CallWithCID (which is
insufficient for my needs)?  Specifically, I'm looking for some way to
communicate the following information:

mailboxid - string [mandatory]
totalmessages - int [mandatory] (any positive number could be used for
MWIs that don't implement message counts)
newmessages - int [optional] (refers to "unheard" messages)

I had thought of trying to use BSC by encoding the totalmessages and
newmessages into the text attribute and using the mailboxid as an
endpoint; but, this seems rather much like a "hack" and
recipients of
such messages would have to somehow know that the source and endpoints
were mailbox "types" and therefore know how to parse the text
attribute.

If no current schema exists for this, does extension to the evolving CTI
schema make sense?  If so, can the CTI "owners" offer guidance or
should
I just suggest something?

BTW: It makes no difference to me whether mailboxid is treated as (1) an
endpoint (subaddress), (2) a part of a block name, or (3) an attribute
w/i a block.  They should not, however, be uniquely associated w/ any
existing concepts of telephony "line" or "device" as
they can be
separate (and, are, in Asterisk).

Gregg