RE: Re: xAP Development

  • Subject: RE: Re: xAP Development
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone \(Personal E-mail\)" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:47:23 +0100

The UID has been modified on these from
FF
> > to FE.  I noticed on James' website that the xAPServer will do
this
> > by design.  However when I look at the xAP specification on the
> > website there is no mention of this.  Is that the latest
> > specification or is there another on floating around somewhere?

I checked, and actually it is mentioned in the spec (only in passing, but
at
least it is there):

"The UID is generated as an upper case ASCII hex number, comprising nn
dd dd
ss where nn is the xAP network and domain identifier (FF by default), dd dd
is the unique device identifier and ss is a subaddress node within the
device. For all elements of the UID, the values FF and 00 are reserved for
future use. Sub addressing is explained in more detail below."

The most current version of the spec is v.1.2.

The reason for this is as follows:

The UID is supposed to uniquely identify any application within a given xAP
network. If we use a router to join two xAP networks, we need to ensure
that
there is no clash between UIDs on the two networks. Modifying the network
identifier element of this as the message passes through the router
guarantees this.

Patrick