Re: xAP Development

harley0922 wrote:
> I have been developing a few xAPplications and am curious as to how
> some things should/need to be.  As more questions come to mind I will
> add to the list.  Here is what I have so far.
>
> 1. I have a application that receives Caller ID from a NetCallerID
> box.  When CID is received I would like to be able to announce the
> call via xAPSpeak, have it displayed on each computer in the house
> and maybe have the notification emailed to my cell phone.  Would I
> need to send a xAP message for each of the three type of
> notifications that I want?

Yes, in this example you would send a :
message.display
http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=9

Mail.Outgoing

http://www.xapautomation.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=10
tts.speak
http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=17
and if you wanted an sms to go out:
http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=13

> 2. I have developed a Hub application and have noticed that it
> displays other xAPplications that are located on a remote network via
> xAPServer and xAPRouter.  The UID has been modified on these from FF
> to FE.  I noticed on James' website that the xAPServer will do this
> by design.  However when I look at the xAP specification on the
> website there is no mention of this.  Is that the latest
> specification or is there another on floating around somewhere?  Will
> each connected router have the UID modifed to a unique identifier?

The first 2 hex digits of the uid identify a xAP network and default to
FF . If a remote FF network is routed to a local FF network, then
packets from the remote network will, in the case of the xServer, appear
as FE. This is just how the xServer was designed. Actually the xServer
doesn't do this translation at all, the Router client does it. This is
why the router has options for bridge or route as in bridge mode it jsut
passes the packets along with out touching them. It is  in the current
specification, jsut not in great detail. This is an area that is not
used much yet, but as things get bigger it is quite useful

> 3. Is there any more information specific to the development of hub
> applications?

Not that I know of. The source code for the .net hub is available from
xapframework.net and the C code for Patrick's hub is at
http://patrick.lidstone.net/ha .
Any questions just ask away

hth
James