RE: Display JPEGs on your Tivo from ANYWHERE

  • Subject: RE: Display JPEGs on your Tivo from ANYWHERE
  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <gsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 07:59:45 -0500

This message never showed up yesterday, so I'm going to post it again...
Sorry if you receive it twice.

Here's what I ended up doing... You tell me how it meshes with your
model.

When the xAPplication starts, it reads a CSV of TiVo address,
Description combinations, and starts a thread for each TiVo, with a
message queue.

LOCATION:
When it receives a message like this:
xap-header
{
v=12
Hop=1
UID=FF123400
Class=Display.Locate
Source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.test
}
Locate
{
}

It responds with a message like this for each TiVo... The only
difference is the source subaddress and the last two digits of the UID:
xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF111101
class=Display.Service
source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.gmslaptop1:LivingRoom
target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.test
}
Display
{
failurecount=0
size=no
successcount=0
priority=no
image=yes
queue=yes
lines=3
align=no
buttons=no
time=yes
modal=no
length=35
brightness=no
}

MESSAGE DISPLAY:
Upon receiving a message like this:
xap-header
{
v=12
Hop=1
UID=FF123400
Class=Message.Display
Source=KCSoft.Send.Anya
Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSlaptop1:>
}
Display.Text
{
Line1=Incoming Voice Call
Line2=Stuart Booth is calling from 01234-567890 } Display.Look {
Image=\\gmsserver01\Pictures\ERIN.JPG
}

It creates the JPEG and adds the message to the queue for each TiVo.  As
the TiVo display becomes available, the app attempts to post the JPEG to
the screen.  If a "duration" item is added to the Display.Text
block,
the image is posted for that many seconds, otherwise, the image is
posted until another one is queued to post, or a clear message is
received.

There can be two different types of messages generated by a display
event, depending on if it succeeded or not.  The message is generated
when the operation is complete, i.e., immediately, for a permanent
display, or after the message has been displayed and clears, in the case
of a timed display.
xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF111101
class=Message.Display.Info
source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.gmslaptop1:LivingRoom
target=KCSoft.Send.Anya
}
Display.Success
{
tivodescription=Living Room
successcount=5
line1=Incoming Voice Call
line2=Stuart Booth is calling from 01234-567890
tivoaddress=192.168.64.251
failurecount=0
}

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF111102
class=Message.Display.Info
source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.gmslaptop1:MasterBedRoom
target=KCSoft.Send.Anya
}
Display.Failure
{
tivodescription=Master Bed Room
successcount=0
line1=Incoming Voice Call
line2=Stuart Booth is calling from 01234-567890
tivoaddress=192.168.64.250
failuretext=The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect
to the remote server.
failurecount=4
}

You can see that the message was displayed correctly on my Living Room
TiVo, but not on the Bedroom TiVo... That's because I don't have one in
the bedroom ;-)

You can also see that the Living Room TiVo has successfully processed 5
display messages, and the Bedroom TiVo has had 4 failures.

There is also a corresponding "Clear" message:
xap-header
{
v=12
Hop=1
UID=FF123400
Class=Message.Display
Source=KCSoft.Send.Anya
Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSlaptop1:>
}
Display.Clear
{
}

Which generates either a success or failure message:
xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF111101
class=Message.Display.Info
source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.gmslaptop1:LivingRoom
target=KCSoft.Send.Anya
}
Clear.Success
{
tivodescription=Living Room
failurecount=0
successcount=8
tivoaddress=192.168.64.251
}

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF111102
class=Message.Display.Info
source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.gmslaptop1:MasterBedRoom
target=KCSoft.Send.Anya
}
Clear.Failure
{
tivodescription=Master Bed Room
failurecount=6
successcount=0
tivoaddress=192.168.64.250
failuretext=The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect
to the remote server.
}

QUEUE MESSAGES
The xAPplication also responds to Queue.Query and Queue.Clear messages.
For the Query message, it responds back with a Queue.Info message, and
for the Clear message, it clears the respective queues and THEN responds
with Queue.Info messages as appropriate:
xap-header
{
v=12
Hop=1
UID=FF123400
Class=Message.Display
Source=KCSoft.Send.Anya
Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSlaptop1:>
}
Queue.Query
{
}

xap-header
{
v=12
Hop=1
UID=FF123400
Class=Message.Display
Source=KCSoft.Send.Anya
Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSlaptop1:>
}
Queue.Clear
{
Clear=All
}

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF111102
class=Message.Display.Info
source=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.gmslaptop1:MasterBedRoom
target=KCSoft.Send.Anya
}
Queue.Info
{