RE: VS C# 2005 xFx....more

  • Subject: RE: VS C# 2005 xFx....more
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone \(Personal E-mail\)" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:48:42 -0000

> As an aside, what do others do for generic scripting? As an
> example, the phone rings - I'd like to mute/pause the Tivo,
> Slimserver, etc and display the Caller ID. Or someone pushes
> the doorbell button, connected to a Netiom - mute and display
> a message and or/TTS. Whilst it's plainly possible to pick up
> the code and add to it, this gets a bit boring for every
> little event/action, especially for non BSC devices.

This isn't necessarily a solution for everyone, but I wrote a python based
scripting engine a couple of years back. This invokes specific scripts
based
on address filtering of incoming messages ("event table"), and
includes a
last value cache, so you can do things like "send a text message if
the
doorbell rings and the house isn't occupied". The event table methods
makes
the whole thing really nice an modular, and easy to maintain, although the
implementation is quite crude. It will run under windows or linux (I run it
on a compact-flash linux EPIA box), and has proven incredibly robust for
me.
You can find it here: http://patrick.lidstone.net/haweb/python.htm

There's a short tutotial too, if there's sufficient interest I am happy to
work up the docs further.

Also related to this, my longer term plan is to write a simple scripting
engine which allows for configurable, simple mapping of messages within
each
of the connectors. Something similar in concept to being able to execute an
xslt transformation on xAP messages. The inevitable difficulty with this
approach in the long term is the (perfectly reasonable) tendency for all
developers to do their own thing, so what ever form this finally takes,
it's
unlikely to be universally adopted.

Patrick