Re: Display JPEGs on your Tivo from ANYWHERE

OOOps...
actually the line below...

Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSServer:>

addresses the whole chebang  (the main application and every endpoint) -
to address all the endpoints but not the main application it should have
been..

Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSServer:*.>

which requires that at least one or more level of sub addressing is present
(the * requires a positional value whereas a > can match anything to the
end , including nothing being present)

Kevin

Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> Sullivan, Glenn wrote:
>
>> I guess it makes sense to do that, and then an app can send out a
>> display message to either the whole set of TiVo's (by addressing
>> BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSServer), or to an individual TiVo
(by
>> addressing to BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSServer:LivingRoom)
>>

> Just a comment here on some rethinks I/we've been having over
targeting
> after some practical experience using sub addressing.
>
> Firstly addressing the 'whole' application with
> Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSServer
> is intended for things that the whole/main application would
> action/respond to, rather than the endpoints eg perhaps a general
status
> query like 'uptime' or how many attached devices there are or what
> machine the SlimServer is running on. . If actually you are wanting
all
> the endpoints to do something (eg display a  message) then you should
> construct the target= line to address all the endpoints rather than
the
> main application ie something like
> Target=BushSoft.xAPTiVoJPEGWriter.GMSServer:>
> Obviously various constructs can be used to select a sub group of
> players or just one specific one as appropriate.
>
> The concept of sub addresses was originally purposed for one
> application/device with several embedded hardware endpoints - with one
> hardware device and lots of I/O its ideal and in something like
> SlimServer with one server application and several display/player
> devices this works quite well -  With several Tivo's all sort of made
> into one collection it's stretching the model somewhat but actually as
> one 'application' is providing all the segmenting to multiple devices
> I'm thinking it's appropriate too as sub addresses provide a useful
way
> of addressing each player within the target= line.
>
> Secondly ( and people have a slightly divided opinion here ) as to
> whether there is a difference between an untargeted message and a
> message containing target=>:>  (which addresses everything) or
even
> target=> or say target=*.*.> which only addresses whole
applications and