Re: Subgroup UIDs

On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:26:01 -0400, Gregg Liming
<gregg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In any event, the mapping should be deterministic
>> and documented.
>
>I understand sentences 1 & 2; it's sentence 3 that has my concern
>(well--documentation is always an issue--but, specifically, it's the
>"deterministic"). My current approach to solving the subUID
assignment
>is to perform the assignment dynamically--iterating over some group
>allocation and as devices are added. So, it is
"deterministic" in that
>as new devices are added to the knowledge ("scope"?) of the
application,
>they are then registered. However, the assignment value is not
>deterministic as it might differ on "reload" of the
application.

I would anticipate that means that the assignments are repeatable on a
reload of the application. Certainly I've tried to reassign the same
subaddress value, as I find it frustrating in Viewer when a new node
appears beside the old one, but with a different subaddress on it.

If I were coding by UID, and it changed dynamically on me, I'd have to
add further complexity to the app to track source address/UID changes
I think.

My mail monitoring xAPplication has fixed/user-configurable
assignments for mailboxes. I need to update the SlimServerConnector to
make the Slim device subaddress value static once assigned and also
configurable.

Unfortunately I've not got to the point of allocating subaddresses on
anything other than a pre-defined basis.

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/