Subgroup UIDs

Hi,

Please do let me know if I'm treading old ground and should do a better
job of searching the archives. My current question concerns the
following passage from the BSC spec:

> It is the responsibility of the programmer to determine the mapping
> between actual endpoints
> and subUID’s. It is generally to be recommended that the subUID’s used
> should be contiguous
> wherever possible. In any event, the mapping should be deterministic
> and documented.

I understand sentences 1 & 2; it's sentence 3 that has my concern
(well--documentation is always an issue--but, specifically, it's the
"deterministic"). My current approach to solving the subUID
assignment
is to perform the assignment dynamically--iterating over some group
allocation and as devices are added. So, it is "deterministic" in
that
as new devices are added to the knowledge ("scope"?) of the
application,
they are then registered. However, the assignment value is not
deterministic as it might differ on "reload" of the application.
In a
distributed network, the addition of a new device and power fail could
result in a new sequence of subaddress names to subUIDs unless some
persistence of the mapping were maintained (which would be impractical
in my case). That would suggest to me that subUIDs need to be considered
transient and subject to change. I guess what I'm asking is whether the
concept of source/target subaddressing mapping to subUID is conceptually
similar to DNS in which the relationship can be dynamic and there is
some time-to-live to which the relationship is considered accurate
(although--that's still questionable). In my case, though, it's the
sub-source/target that remains relatively static and the subUID that is
dynamic. How should this be resolved?

Regards,

Gregg