Re: xAP directory service/config/watchdog

  • Subject: Re: xAP directory service/config/watchdog
  • From: "Mark Harrison (Groups)" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 12:51:13 +0100

Patrick Lidstone (Personal E-mail) wrote:

> How wide spread is the sub-address problem in practice? Is it really
going
>to be that common an occurrence that every sub-address needs explicit,
>individual configuration? The only example I can think of is X10, where
each
>device needs to be provided with a "friendly name" such as
"lounge lamp".

C-Bus would have a similar requirement. At the moment, I have C-Bus kit
on the workbench, but it's going into the (next) house, and I'd
definitely want every lighting channel to have a friendly name. I
suspect that the same would apply to pretty much any lighting controller.

Moving onwards, something like a webbrick or HomeVision, which are
multi-function devices...

... or a temperature controller. I'd far rather they said
"temp.lounge"
and "temp.bed1" rather than "temp.001" and
"temp.002"

How material the requirement would be I don't know... certainly, I don't
use this stuff _yet_, but would definitely like to.

M.