Re: xAP Message Viewer wishlist?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:22:39 +0000, Stuart Booth
<lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've got an updated build of the xAP Message Viewer coming along this
>w/e sometime with a few new features

A few updates to Viewer that may be of use to some of you. Have a peek
only if you're curious or they sound useful. This is just a beta test
release rather than an official one so watch out for any buglette
horrors! Some of these changes are based on requested features.

http://www.xapframework.net/Downloads/Beta/Viewer-v2.0.1.4.zip

1. File/Save xAP event history to disc.
2. Clear All messages now has a toolbar item.
3. Edit menu now has a Forget All Devices item.
4. ClearAll and ForgetAll now have keyboard shortcuts. I've made these
'twisty' (Ctrl + Shift) as they're fairly destructive.
5. Better VB.NET support for creating column types.
6. Pause/Resume listening for xAP messages.

With File/Save there are 4 different things it can now optionally
save:
A) ALL xAP events recorded
B) All visible events for the selected device e.g. Select
"KCSoft.SliMP" in the tree and get all Slim events saved.
C) Selected events in the grid.
D) Tagged events from anywhere in the message history.

Item (D) is the most complicated of the new options. You also have to
enable it in Tools/Options/Application Options. It adds a checkbox
beside every event in the message history. You can then trawl around
anywhere in Viewer, with any filtering options you like, and tag those
messages you want to save. Once 1 or more events are tagged in this
way the only way to clear them currently is to manually find them all
and uncheck them ... Or just turn off the event tagging option in
Tools/Options, which implicitly clears out the tagged items.

I tried a couple of UIs for this but checkboxes were probably the
easiest to use. Sadly I think the checkboxes "spoils with the
lines"
of Viewer so I made it optional, and off by default. It's probably an
advanced feature anyway. The other UI style could possible be extended
to tagging events in different ways (group resend for instance) but
the problem is how to visually represent these tagged events. I was
going to overlay a little icon onto the main event icon but start
adding additional flag types and that gets messy. I'll revisit this if
we need "tagged group resend" capabilities or similar.

More updates later...

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/