Re: xAP Intranet without the xAP

--------------010308070406090406010204

Sullivan, Glenn wrote:

>  Is it possible to use the xAP Intranet OCX without the xAP part?

Currently no, but you can use the xAP with out the intranet ;-)

>  Meaning, I already have a xAPplication written, but I'd like to use
>  the xAP Intranet control to link it in with the rest of my intranet
>  apps. But, after a quick read of the documentation and example, it
>  seems as though the SystemStartup method is going to start up
>  another xAP listener/heartbeat/etc...
>
>  I know that I would need to code my own advertisement web.service
>  messages, but if I can get it to start up and just serve web pages,
>  that would be slick...

It's slightly more complicated than just the web.service as you would
have to:
Send web.service every 300 seconds
Send server.stop at app closedown
Respone to web.server requests.
Track all other intranet apps for time outs
Add to the webpages all the available rss feeds
Add to the web pages all the otehr intranet apps in the toolbar.

Now one way around it would be for your app to accept web.service
messages and pass them over to the ocx for it to handle all the above,
that could well be possible( no promise on time scale though!)
.Another posibility would be to use the intranet ocx for xAP receiving
but instead of using it's parsing of the message do your own using the
xAPRaw event then you could do anthing you like with it. For sending
there is also a SendxAPX call which gives access to all the fields of
a xAP message so you can send from sub devices for example

hth
James

--------------010308070406090406010204

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN">
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
<title></title>
</head>

Sullivan, Glenn wrote:<br>
use the xAP
Intranet OCX without the xAP part?</span><br>
Currently no, but you can use the xAP with out the intranet ;-)<br>
&gt; Meaning, I already have a xAPplication written, but I'd like to
use<br>
&gt; the xAP Intranet control to link it in with the rest of my
intranet<br>
&gt; apps. But, after a quick read of the documentation and example,
it<br>
&gt; seems as though the SystemStartup method is going to start
up<br>
&gt; another xAP listener/heartbeat/etc...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I know that I would need to code my own advertisement
web.service <br>
&gt; messages, but if I can get it to start up and just serve web
pages,<br>
&gt; that would be slick...</span><br>
It's slightly more complicated than just the web.service as you
would<br>
have to:<br>
Send web.service every 300 seconds<br>
Send server.stop at app closedown<br>
Respone to web.server requests.<br>
Track all other intranet apps for time outs<br>
Add to the webpages all the available rss feeds<br>
Add to the web pages all the otehr intranet apps in the toolbar.<br>
Now one way around it would be for your app to accept web.service<br>
messages and pass them over to the ocx for it to handle all the
above,<br>
that could well be possible( no promise on time scale though!)<br>
.Another posibility would be to use the intranet ocx for xAP
receiving<br>
but instead of using it's parsing of the message do your own using
the<br>
xAPRaw event then you could do anthing you like with it. For
sending<br>
there is also a SendxAPX call which gives access to all the fields
of<br>
a xAP message so you can send from sub devices for example<br>
hth<br>
James<br>

<?---- LSpots keywords ?>
<?---- HM ADS ?>

<!-- **begin egp html banner** -->

width:500px;">
<hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px;
text-align:left;">
<tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
<ul>
<tt><li type=square>&nbsp;Visit your group "<a
href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xAP_developer";>xAP_developer</a>"
on the web.<br>&nbsp;</tt>
<tt><li type=square>&nbsp;To unsubscribe from this group,
<tt><li type=square>&nbsp;Your use of Yahoo! Groups is
subject to the <a href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/";>Yahoo!
Terms of Service</a>.</tt>
</ul>
width:500px;">
<hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px;
text-align:left;">

<!-- **end egp html banner** -->

--------------010308070406090406010204--