Re: Message Queuing

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:55:50 -0400, "Sullivan, Glenn"
<gsullivan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm just wondering how other people handle situations like this?  I
>figure it would affect any listening application that takes any time at
>all to process the messages it is listening for.  Is there a feature of
>xAPFramework.net that I'm not seeing that handles this?

I'm afraid not. I've never noticed this problem before but this may be
just because of not detecting it rather than it not happening!

I sort of left that bit as an exercise for the future as currently xFx
just fires an event when a message arrives but could easily, and
ideally should, queue things up internally.

I'm in the middle of some mods (temperature permitting) to sort out
once and for all, the message block/header pair juggling that xFx does
(waves at James and Kevin re. this feachur they've had to put up with
and nagged me about for years now... ;-). This will also tidy up the
access to the block and header pairs that you brought up earlier.
Whilst I'm there it might be worth adjusting the area you mention in
this thread.

A transmission throttle sounds like an interesting addition too, but
that presumes all application output goes through a single funnel (in
my own apps I tend to use xAPSender.ApplicationSender exclusively so
this is no problem), or as inbound messages are detected the
transmission backs off Ethernet collision style I think?

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/