Message Queuing

In preparation for my next xAPplication, a one-wire connector service, I
needed a way to capture the data for use later on (i.e., producing a
graph of temperature over time).  I didn't see the point in create a
different database for each new application, and being a Microsoft DBA,
so I decided that a xAP MSDE Logger service was the next step.

My first pass seemed to work OK, but when a "xAP Storm" situation
came
up, where there was a steady stream of messages (xAP TV startup, with
all 76 channels selected for reporting), it started dropping them.

I think I figured out that, since it was taking a few milliseconds to
log the last message into the database, my listener object stopped
seeing messages for that amount of time.

Since this was supposed to be a reliable database application, that
wasn't going to fly...

So, I wrapped the xAP Framework.Net listener object into a component
that just listens and queues message, it it's own, non-blocking thread.
Then the main service app can read the queue at it's leisure.

I'm just wondering how other people handle situations like this?  I
figure it would affect any listening application that takes any time at
all to process the messages it is listening for.  Is there a feature of
xAPFramework.net that I'm not seeing that handles this?

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.