Re: CID Schema question

--------------000809090007010300030309

Sullivan, Glenn wrote:

>  A question about the CID Schema, as posted here:
>  http://www.xapautomation.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&ar
>  tid=9
>
>  It seems that, in the generic CID.Incoming schema, "Name"
is
>  optional and "not currently supported so will mostly be
blank."

>  What does your CID info look like over there?

It gets, sometimes, filled in as INTERNATIONAL, PAYPHONE, WITHHELD and
UNAVAILABLE but that's about all

>  We, about 90% of the time, get both the calling number and some
>  string assigned by the phone company... Usually whatever is listed
>  in the phone book, to a limit.

>  The other 10% of the time, we either get "Number Not
Available",
>  "Unknown", or a number, and "Unknown name."
>
>  I ask because my NetCallerID xAPplication uses this in the
>  CID.Incoming messages it sends out, but if no one's apps are ever
>  going to look at that, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to
>  send it.

It's optional in the schema because some telcos don't send it but if
available it should be sent as it's very useful info.

>  For example, Switchboard, which is an awesome app, does not seem to
>  even look at the name string. Probably because there isn't any
>  reason to over there yet... I can add contacts for all of my
>  incoming calls, and they show up fine, and I suppose that's how you
>  guys make it work.

I'll have to check here, Switchboard should use the Name= field for
displaying in the log although it does use the phone number for
looking up the extra details. It should certainly be displaying the
Name= though.

>  But I guess, ideally, and this is going to turn into a suggestion
>  for an improvement to switchboard, I'd like to see that name if it
>  exists and there isn't a contact already... I can change the Caller
>  ID panel in Desktop to add another variable, grab the
"name" string
>  from my xAP packet, and put it on a new line. All except for Panel
>  0's CID info, which doesn't seem to show in it's settings file.

Display00 just shows messages using the message.display schema.
Switchboard will send those messages on call events and this is what
desktop is picking up. On the tray icon of desktop, rigth click and
set priority to off.

>  Sorry for the rambling long winded email... I've had a few, and I
>  tend to program my best then... ;-)
>
>  Oh, one more thing... James, can you document your CID.Lookup
>  schema? I just want to know, if I plan on intercepting any of
>  those messages, what I can expect...

Yep, I'll get that done. The only element that may be missing from a
lookup message is Pic= , all others will always be present even if
blank. Pic will give the url of an image associated with the caller.

James

--------------000809090007010300030309

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN">
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>

Sullivan, Glenn wrote:<br>
the CID Schema,
as posted here: <br>
&gt;
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.xapautomation.org/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&ar";>http://www.xapautomation.org/modules.php?name=Sections&amp;op=viewarticle&amp;ar</a><br>
&gt; tid=9<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; It seems that, in the generic CID.Incoming schema,
"Name" is<br>
&gt; optional and "not currently supported so will mostly be
blank."<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; What does your CID info look like over
there?</span><br>
It gets, sometimes, filled in as INTERNATIONAL, PAYPHONE, WITHHELD
and<br>
UNAVAILABLE but that's about all<br>
&gt; We, about 90% of the time, get both the calling number and
some<br>
&gt; string assigned by the phone company... Usually whatever is
listed<br>
&gt; in the phone book, to a limit.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The other 10% of the time, we either get "Number Not
Available",
&gt; "Unknown", or a number, and "Unknown
name."<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I ask because my NetCallerID xAPplication uses this in
the<br>
&gt; CID.Incoming messages it sends out, but if no one's apps are
ever<br>
&gt; going to look at that, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense
to<br>
&gt; send it.</span><br>
It's optional in the schema because some telcos don't send it but
if<br>
available it should be sent as it's very useful info.<br>
&gt; For example, Switchboard, which is an awesome app, does not seem
to<br>
&gt; even look at the name string. Probably because there isn't
any<br>
&gt; reason to over there yet... I can add contacts for all of
my<br>
&gt; incoming calls, and they show up fine, and I suppose that's how
you<br>
&gt; guys make it work.<br>
&gt;</span><br>
I'll have to check here, Switchboard should use the Name= field
for<br>
displaying in the log although it does use the phone number for<br>
looking up the extra details. It should certainly be displaying
the<br>
Name= though.<br>
ideally, and this
is going to turn into a suggestion<br>
&gt; for an improvement to switchboard, I'd like to see that name if
it<br>
&gt; exists and there isn't a contact already... I can change the
Caller<br>
&gt; ID panel in Desktop to add another variable, grab the
"name"
string<br>
&gt; from my xAP packet, and put it on a new line. All except for
Panel<br>
&gt; 0's CID info, which doesn't seem to show in it's settings
file.</span><br>
Display00 just shows messages using the message.display schema.<br>
Switchboard will send those messages on call events and this is
what<br>
desktop is picking up. On the tray icon of desktop, rigth click
and<br>
set priority to off.<br>
&gt; Sorry for the rambling long winded email... I've had a few, and
I<br>
&gt; tend to program my best then... ;-)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Oh, one more thing... James, can you document your
CID.Lookup<br>
&gt; schema? I just want to know, if I plan on intercepting any
of<br>
&gt; those messages, what I can expect...</span><br>
Yep, I'll get that done. The only element that may be missing from
a<br>
lookup message is Pic= , all others will always be present even
if<br>
blank. Pic will give the url of an image associated with the
caller.<br>
James<br>

<!-- **begin egp html banner** -->

<tt><hr width="500">
<ul>
<li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a
href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xAP_developer/";>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xAP_developer/</a><br>&nbsp;
<li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<br><a
href="mailto:xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx?subject=Unsubscribe";>xAP_developer-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a><br>&nbsp;