RE: [Fwd: Re: TelCanto V1.1.3]

  • Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: TelCanto V1.1.3]
  • From: "Malcolm Green" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:41:31 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_015A_01C503B5.20A9F3E0

It's the media server which determines what browse/search capability is
supported.  To provide access via specified search criteria, the server
needs to implement the ContentDirectory Search action.  To access via a
predefined hierarchy you can use the Browse action.  The problem is that
several media servers don't implement Search, and you are therefore limited
to the Browse hierarchies which they support (which are inevitably all
different!).  For example, MusicMatch doesn't support Search, and provides
the following Browse hierarchy:
Albums - Tracks
All Tracks
Artists - Tracks
Artists - Albums - Tracks
Genres - Tracks
Genres - Artists - Tracks
Playlists - Tracks

Windows Media Connect does support Search, and provides the following
Browse
hierarchy:
Artists - Albums - Tracks
Albums - Tracks
Tracks
Genres - Artists - Tracks
Composers - Tracks

(Note - in both cases, no Genres - Albums)

Using Search, you should be able to achieve a consistent hierarchical view
independent of server type.  Hopefully more servers will implement it as
time progresses.

Note also that different servers appear to provide different levels of
metadata to the renderer, so that for example when using the SoundBridge to
play from MusicMatch, only Title and Artist are displayed, not Album.

My impression is that there's considerable room for improvement with many
of
the current UPnP implementations but that it does seem to be the way
forward.  The one major server currently which doesn't implement it is
iTunes, which uses its own protocols Rendezvous and DAAP.  I'll be looking
at the possibility of supporting these in TelCanto in due course.

Malcolm

_____