Re: Re: Wildcarding query

Hi David,

Using an ID=* line in a BSC cmd is  a very easy (aka lazy) way of
controlling devices as you then dont have to know  the UID in advance
.... this is typically used in conjunction with a non wildcarded target
line though.  I guess your meaning where ID =* but you also have a
wildcarded address.  My C-Bus controller handles this dual 'overlap'
wildcarding plus also I do generate wildcard addressing from switch
closures or script messages that turn on and off collections of lights ,
so I guess yes I do use this.    There isn't available (yet) a true xAP
based controller , either as a piece of hardware or an application ,
Homeseer can achieve this via scripts but obviously there are neater
approaches , perhaps like your own implementation where the xAP engine
is directly integrated with the state table.

Another thing I will mention is that there is a proposal for xAP
"groups and scenes" - a way of managing membership of a named
group
which is totally independent of the source addressing - for example a
device can be a member of group 'security' - this may be more
appropriate for your needs. This has been knocking around for almost two
years now in an unofficial form and Edward/James/myself are working on
formalising an official.   This form of grouping of devices is probably
much easier and flexible than wildcard constructs where hierarchies need
managing too.

Also ... I am at about 'alpha 4' of my BSC skeleton application in VB -
if you are using VB for testing I can send you what I have so far.  A
sample app includes BSC devices of both input and output  , and one of
each possible type - ie 6 in all. It implements (I believe) full
wildcarding.

Kevin