Re: Character encoding in xAP messages

  • Subject: Re: Character encoding in xAP messages
  • From: Stuart Booth <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:29:02 +0000

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:01:31 -0000, "Edward Pearson"
<edward.mailgroup@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>(hit send too soon)
>
>In terms of the fix to xAPFramework I think it should allow some way of
choosing the character encoding; ASCII used by default and UTF for strings
that need it. Spec writers should indicate where UTF8 strings are possible
in their specs. Ideally there'd be a way to determine the encoding of a
string in an inbound message programatically.

>Pragmatically, for the release this week, I say go for UTF8 using the
framework fix you posted.

Okay, whilst encoding characters in UTF8 is 'off-spec' it seems, I
have added a little extra customisation to xFx to allow you to
override this ASCII encoding behaviour if you so require.

This way the framework defaults to ASCII as before, but you can
configure your xFx xAPps to use UTF8 if required. This is a global
setting in that all messages received and sent will use whichever
encoding format you specify. Now you can just add a key to the config
file to request the appropriate encoding:

<add key="xAPCharacterEncoding" value="UTF8" />

I did wonder about allowing for an encoding format on a per message
basis rather than globally.

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/