Re: Music _selection_ via xAP

Hi Mark,

Not totally sure what your trying to home in on here...    so
perhaps offtrack but....

TelCanto is xAP enabled in the current beta release, and also has
early support as a UPnP Renderer and will be adding UPnP Server support
soon. ( see Malcolms post yesterday on xAP developer).   So are the Slim
players , Slimp3, Softsqueeze and Squeezebox via Stuarts conduit.   The
Exstreamer has some inbuilt xAP support using xap-audio schema and I
have an almost completed updated WinAMP conduit for xAP that supports
the current 'flavour of the moment' of the xap-audio schema  roughly in
line with the way TelCanto does.  You are probably best placed to
comment on P's xAp Rio operation but I think I would recommend xPL
Rionet which I know you are familiar with for this and then bridging it
to the  xAP-audio schema as its is broad project encompassing many
players and file formats plus it is actively developed and well regarded..

What particular aspect do you need ? On the software player side the
thing that is not yet done in the xAP WinAMP plugin  implementation is
the complete playlist management schema as WinAMP is proving a bit
tetchy in this respect and I still have some grey areas in my
understanding of the xap-audio schema.  All transport control, eventing,
play/queue requests and basic playlist (read/add/delete at n) type
operation are there already - as is 'announce' - the ability to
interrupt a playing track, play another file or more interestingly  TTS
message using James' TTS and then continue exactly where you were
interrupted. Full playlist interrogation is supported ie
artist/track/album at any playlist position, not just current track
info.   I shall release this in the next few days and have 'work in
progress' versions now.    One thing that is not there currently is
support for multiple instances of WinAMP on one machine eg for zoned
audio playback  - but I am hoping that may be something I can support
soon. This is a key issue for me as I use one 7.1 sound card for 3 x
stereo channels currently via a matrix switcher to distribute further.
Mutiple instances on networked machines work fine.

Menu walkthrough is not something I have considered as this is very
application specific - ie you would end up with say a WinAMP schema. I
guess there is a possibility for a 'drive a windows application via UI'
schema that would integrate with any Windows app and allow driving the
UI via xAP including menus, buttons, keyboard & mouse emulation,
perhaps
something that would interact via one  the various proven 'application
automation/macro' commercial engines there are out there or possibly via
Girder or something....

Kevin