Re: Z-Wave Getting Started?

Hey Dave,

The generic, simple, BSC Schema immediately sounds like a suitable
candidate to support. I've made up a xAP address in some examples
below.

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:52:00 -0000, "davepow16"
<Davepow16@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>So I think that I can make a message available to the client
>(HomeSeer or CQC) which tells the client all the available node
>ID's.

The node IDs would map onto xAP hardware subaddress values such as:

Source=DavePow16.ZWave.Server:Lounge.Dimmer
UID=FF123401

> With the node ID's available to the client it would be able to
>ask for information such as device type (IE. Thermostat, Dimmer,
>Blinds, ect.).

I'm not sure of the best way to encode this information into a BSC
message. Perhaps in the Source address.

>Different device types provide different status
>indications and settings.  For example the dimmers return a value
>from 0 to 99 for their dim levels and 255 if the status is unknown.

BSC supports a Level setting of the format:

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF123401
class=xAPBSC.info
source=DavePow16.ZWave.Server:Lounge.Dimmer
}
output.state
{
ID=01
State=ON
Level=50/99
}

A State of "?" indicates the status is unknown.

>Thermostats return the current temp, current fan setting, and
>current mode setting (cool, heat).

You would use the Text value for this e.g.

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FF123402
class=xAPBSC.info
source=DavePow16.ZWave.Server:Lounge.Thermometer
}
output.state
{
ID=02
Text=23.5
}

>So, I really really need everyones help to first design the schema.

Supporting BSC allows you to provide a common interface for basic
devices, giving you immediate wide support from other devices. You can
also implementing a higher level schema on top of this, but other
devices must then be aware of this newer, more specific schema.

Hope this helps for starters?

Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
xAPFramework.NET - a xAP software development framework for .NET

http://www.xapautomation.org/
     http://www.xapframework.net/