Re: BCS and X10 Question

  • Subject: Re: BCS and X10 Question
  • From: "g8kmh" <g8kmh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 23:32:33 -0000

--- In xAP_developer@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <lists@u...>
wrote:

> mustang8760 wrote:
> > I'm working on an xAP connector for the LynX-10 PLC and I have a
few
> > question about BCS.
> >
> Sounds good..
> > Is it the responsibility of the X-10 connector to convert a
source
> > like Source=ACME.Controller.apartment:BedsideLamp to its X-10
address?

> Yes - the enpoint application translates from xAP addresses to
device
> specific addresses.
> > If this is the case wouldn't it be better if there was an
intermediate
> > "devices" connector that could maintain the state of
the device
and
> > translate the xAP source to an X-10 address and then sent out the
> > correct xAP message to the X-10 connector? This way you could
change
> > the X-10 interface you were using without having to recreate all
your
> > "devices".
> >
> Well... yes and no.  If you did this then you have an intermediary
> application and  that increases response time and points of
failure.
> Also you get double the network traffic and also to an extent
duplicated
> status messages from different devices (different addresses) that
are in
> fact the same device.   I can see the point about having to
configure
> the address translation in the app though.

Very relevant as I'm in the middle of an xAP->DMX plug-in for xFx
using BSC. There an xAP address and/or ID has to be translated into a
DMX channel.
I know that there is an awareness that 255 ID's isn't sufficient (a
single universe can have 512 channels) but in any event addressing
individual channels isn't friendly. The approach I've taken is to map
subaddress.subsubaddress (and I'm sure that's not the right
terminology but octet isn't right either!) to a channel. So
mmwave.dmx512.system:lounge.tablelamp1 might be DMX channel 324/ID=10.
Sending a BSC with ID=* and target mmwave.dmx512.system:lounge.> with
a state=off would turn all the lounge lights off.
Right now all of the configuration is coded in an XML file (AMS)
without a means of 'over the wire' change, albeit not something
you're going to do often but I'll add a specific schema for that and
scenes.

BTW. Celsius doesn't have a degrees.......

Lehane