Re: Java applet - UDP or TCP?

xAP being UDP is intended for LAN operations. If you wish to reliably
pass xAP between devices on the internet (cf intranet) then you should
use TCP.  There are two routes to this , firstly you could use one of
the existing xAP router applications or secondly you should create a
socket level connection at your application level. You can still send
the xAP packet exactly as you did for UDP.  The difference is that once
you move to TCP you forfeit the broadcast nature of xAP If this is
important, and in most cases it will be,  then you should  repeat
received packets locally at each end of the internet link using UDP and
a broadcast address.   This is effectively what the xAP router does,
although often they have some added features to support multiple
endpoints, security and selective message filtering across the link.

Kevin

James has the XServer router..
http://www.mi4.biz/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=37

& Patrick has a router ...