Re: hbeats and virtual devices

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 16:34 -0400, Gregg Liming wrote:
> (1) do I need to make each "virtual device" listen on it's
own
> (separate
> from all others) ephemeral port and send a heartbeat to register it
> w/
> the hub?, or

That's what we do with xAPHomeVision, that has the same problem.

However, it may be worth waiting a week and see whether xAP 1.2.1 sorts
this (as I believe it should for xAPHV).

xAP 1.2.1 is currently at "proposal" stage, and the change is
that UIDs
get much longer, allowing huge hierarchies of "things" to appear
within
a single xAP device, by removing the 254-sub-device limit.

Assuming that this gets agreed, we'll be moving xAPHV over to _NOT_
using Virtual devices, but usings LOTS of sub-devices.

scentium.xaphv.myhouse:x10a.14
scentium.xaphv.myhouse:input.1
etc, etc, etc

(or whatever we end up using)