Re: A VSCP schema for xAP

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 13:46 +0100, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

>     The intent is that the vendor name is the actual author
> (providor)
> of the application, in your case 'Eurosource' I guess. If the VSCP
> group
> were writing it then it would be VSCP .  The VSCP part is the device
> type really isn't it (?) so you should end with an address something
> like...
>
>      Source=EuroSource.VSCP.<instance>

Kevin's understanding is the same as mine. That Vendor IDs that pertain
to existing products should only be registered by the owners of those
products, and that others who write connectors from xAP to those
products should use a vendor ID relating to them.

For example, I use the vendor ID Scentium for the HomeVision plugin,
rather than HOMEVIS, because only CSI (maker of the HomeVision) would be
allowed to register HOMEVIS as a name.

The only thing I'd modify in Kevin's message is to draw an 8-character
limit at Vendor IDs, so be, say, EUROSRC instead of EuroSource. It if
for this reason that I am scentium rather than ascentium.

The ultimate maintainer of the Vendor ID list is Stuart Poulton.

Regards,

Mark