Re: A VSCP schema for xAP

Hi Ake,

Nice to have you back.. !

The intent is that the vendor name is the actual author (providor)
of the application, in your case 'Eurosource' I guess. If the VSCP group
were writing it then it would be VSCP .  The VSCP part is the device
type really isn't it (?) so you should end with an address something
like...

Source=EuroSource.VSCP.<instance>

If you were writing it officially on behalf of the VSCP group then
you might want the vendor ID of VSCP I guess. Not sure how VSCP is
formalised as a group. Theoretically a 'device' once standardised could
also be provided by another vendor so there could be a ERSP.X10 and a
KCSoft.X10 and  mi4.X10 or whatever.

Getting BSC working transparently with VSCP will be really  nice :-)
- looking forward to that,. Some of the more complex things I realise
will take more effort but maybe we can learn and adapt from each other
here, perhaps even creating  'standard' more involved xAP schemas if you
have such devices mapped out in VSCP. I don't know enough about VSCP to
know if you have these all defined already.  ( mental note ... must read
that spec).   Certainly it would be nice to have some more complex
'standard' schema to bridge transparently between the two. The intent
with xAP schema was focus on modelling types of functionality eg
'heating' 'lighting' and generic devices eg 'audio player'' etc but
inevitably people created specific device schema too eg 'Meteor' and to
an extent 'X10', it's much easier (but less useful) to do the latter as
everything is contained of course..  Getting broader functional
definitions correct eg 'security' is quite an onerous task. UPNP have
many  large teams of people with each team focussing on one area.   At
another level it will of course be possible to have a 'VSCP' schema to
'send a VSCP message' or something although this  is more a programatic
link than a  bridge ,  of course very useful (essential) but less
'bridged' if you see what  I mean.

Like Stuart I recommend you wade in and just 'post' your thoughts and
ask questions, everyone learns from this sort of interaction.   You'll
only really meet resistance if you try to suggest something that breaks
the xAP spec or impacts other existing applications.  In areas where we
know we should have "xAP official" ways of  doing things (eg
config ,
groups, scenes) etc then we may want to get a small working group to
thrash out a proposal that can later be adopted as the xAP standard.
This in practice can be quite lively.  The joys of an open protocol.

Kevin

YAP wrote:

>Stuart,
>
>thanks. I have a go at it and post it here so you can put me on the
right track.

>Why I would like to use "VSCP" is because the vendor in this
case is
>the VSCP group, not me nor my company "eurosource". The
events coming
>in can originate from different vendors products. If I did a
>"eurosource" variant of this it could be something different.
Would

wrote:

>> >I would very much like to design a VSCP (http://www.vscp.org) schema
>> >for xAP and add support for xAP to the VSCP daemon. Can I do a
>> >proposal for this myself or do I have to go through a some
kind of
>> >steering group to have it done?
>>
>> Oh, just have a go yourself! Post up to the list and get some
>> comments/suggestions from others, that's what I normally do.
>>

>> There are a few components of schemas often done in what you might
>> call standardised ways now - certainly I have a few patterns I
tend to
>> follow in my own efforts, which I tend to wrap in my own xAP code.
>>
>> >Also I need a vendor id ("VSCP" preferred). How do I
get this?

>> I think you just did. Normally it's a case of reserve an ID here,
it
>> gets added to a list somewhere, job done. However, that seems more
of
>> a protocol name rather than a vendor name. There might in future
be a
>> few different implementions from different vendors under this same
>> general banner if you see what I mean??

>> --
>> Stuart Booth <stuart@xxxxxxx>
>> xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net
>>
>> http://www.xapautomation.org/
 http://www.xapframework.net/

Service.