Re: Bodies in xAP Heartbeats

  • Subject: Re: Bodies in xAP Heartbeats
  • From: "turner228" <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:21:46 -0000

Kevin

To me heartbeats need to be transmitted by every app at short
intervals, typicaly this is every 60 seconds. Idealy the messages
should be short so reducing overhead and be quick to process.

The Web.service messages you refer to for xAPIntranet Apps is every
4.5 to 5 mins which seems to indicate a different function

I guess what I am trying to say is that heartbeats are short sharp
simple and often and info messages are less frequent, maybe on
demand rather than regular, more verbose and potentialy more complex
to handle

And of course, as you say, you do run the risk of breaking other
apps...

But talking of heartbeats and info messages and seeing Patricks
directory post, I do have a couple of of other observations or
proposals which I have been meaning to post for a while...

In our distributed ha envrironment one of the difficulties I would
see is in its management. Now I dont see this as a sophisticated
requirement, but when you have a collection of xAP apps on a variety
of systems on your network, some of which may be headless, it is
often difficult to work out exactly what you have installed.

This is particularly true if you are trying to workout which vendors
version of the app you have and which version it is, wether there is
an update, and how to contact them.

To solve some of this, I would like to suggest that we have a
xAP.Audit schema where the apps would respond, if they were able, to
an audit request with information like Appname, Appversion,
Appversiondate,vendor, vendorurl,currenthost

I think this would not need to be a regular real time app, just one
you would run when looking to gather that info

The second part of this simple management would be a Watchdog
program, which would monitor the distributed xAP apps and report or
warn when one of the Apps had stopped.

I guess some of the xAP apps would not be critical, and would often
disappear/appear on the network, but others might be more critical.

Some of the above might fit in nicely with viewer or it might be a
separate application, or someone might already have something
similar?

While i have been dabbling with xapax and helping out James, I am
not sure my coding skills are up to either app....

(The other) Kevin