Introduction

  • Subject: Introduction
  • From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:07:19 +0100

Greetings,

I thought I'd take a moment of your time to introduce myself to the
group.

You may have seen a post I sent to the xAP_Automation group, which
Stuart picked up on and pointed me in the direction of this group.

I'm a developer who has been playing around with home automation for 5
or 6 years (www.the-firs.org).  I'm not into home automation in a big
(eg, expensive!) way, but do have a number of X10 modules and a 1-wire
network for temperature monitoring and the like.

Over the last few years, I've written quite a bit of software for my own
personal use, and after recently discovering xAP (or at least, deciding
to find more about it), I've realised that much of the development I've
been doing for myself is stuff which I could more easily use existing
xAP modules for, and spend my time more constructively developing new
xAP applications which could be released back into the community.

Although I do some .net development, I'm more at home with Delphi, which
is what most of my existing HA software is written in.  Delphi 2005
allows importing of .net libraries, although I haven't made the switch
to 2005 yet (still on v7).  Are there any people using Delphi for xAP
development?

>From what I understand, as xAP is "just" a protocol, then as
long as I'm
happy with UDP communication,  there is no specific need for me to use
the xAP .net framework.  Is that correct?

At the moment, I have a Meteor/Sipua caller ID program, which currently
broadcasts over UDP to inform PC clients on incoming calls.  In theory
(I say "theory" because I'm aware there is already a Meteor CID
module),
if I modified the program to send xAP information over UDP (rather than
it's own protocol, which is what is does at the moment), then that would
make it an xAP application?  Is that correct? - Is that all there is to
it, or am I missing something?!

Thanks,
Adam (Bristol, 30-something, married, one child!)