Re: BSC and OneWire]

------=_NextPart_000_00F6_01C4D496.051FCE90

The only performance difference I have seen between the USB and Serial
vers=
ions is that the USB will hold the discrete (e.g. DS2405) outputs when the
=
adapter has been released from the drivers, while the DS9097U will allow
th=
e state to decay.  This may only be with parasitic power, but this is how
I=
have all my devices connected.  The only time this comes into play is if y=
ou run multiple adapters on the same PC and the softare needs to release
on=
e to talk to the next.  Note that this OneWire application will drive
multi=
ple ports, but as currently configured it will not allow other
applications=
to access the one-wire drivers.  This may come into play if you try to use=
the ibutton viewer when this application is running.

There are other compatible adapters such as Link and the parallel version
o=
f the DS9097.  There as some problems with variations from the DS9097U so
I=
would stick to that one if you want a serial interface.

I agree that samples are the best way to get  started, but sometimes they
c=
ome well after you have forgotten that you ordered them.  The other word
of=
caution about dealing with Maxim-ic is that they can hit you hard for ship=
ping.  Order 3 sensors and you may get 3 packages with shipping charges on
=
each.  They have also changed their pricing structure in the last year to
p=
rovide more margin for the middlemen.

I obtained my 1-wire goodies a few years ago.  Prices were around $2 per
Te=
mp or Discrete sensor and I ordered 25 of each at the time.  $10 per box
sh=
ipping.  Humidity sensors which are made from DS2438 are best obtained in
M=
exico at AAG.  They also have nice counter modules based on the DS2423.

I have no issue with making the database key an option.  Also no issue
with=
making the State key an option as well.
----- Original Message -----=20