RE: xAP-Display - an idea

  • Subject: RE: xAP-Display - an idea
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:01:00 +0000

href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=Z4x5P9BEMsgBBtkoA4qW4cnrH51IwWDSAY2WMHlmc5mRdOK-BXmabxu5apcbG-HmZrAumr6JDZ5ai5ZOPsF2Sg">stuart@s...</a>]
> Sent: 07 May 2004 13:16
> To: xAP Developers List
> Subject: [xAP_developer] xAP-Display - an idea
>
> Mainly aimed at Patrick, but others welcome to chip in :-)
>
> I've been toying with the idea of adding "pages" to
> Patrick's xAP-Display app, so that each new message that
> arrives for display gets assigned to a page, each with an
> optional expirey lengthi either a time limit, or number of
> displays, while others persist and get overridden by new messages.
>
> Pages could be set to display immediatly for alerts etc,
> and could be set to expire after 1 display.
>
> What do you think?

There's an interesting overlap here with the very capable display queue
management that Stuart's Slim Connector has. Within that he has handled
multiple display endpoints each with individual target addressability and
timed display messages. Currently he has a 'queue jump' feature to force a
message to the front of a queue for immediate display (handles temporary
suspension of any current message) and also the ability to wipe the queue
for a specific target. Intended (but probably well down the list) is a
0-255
'priority' that can be assigned to individual messages and the queue
managed
around them so that more urgent messages can get placed correctly in the
queue. This is sort of the saem as your 'page' numbering system you
outlined.

Now although this currently sits in the Slim connector we have talked about
how really useful this could be as a xAPQueue application - providing
onward
display queue management to all devices supporting display scheme. It
probably even has applications for non display messages , handling timed
delays for onward xAP message delivery. You could even possibly add a
'deliver this at xx:xx AM' for me - to provide a scheduler functionality.

I know the queue system was quite a task to implement and I was just
wondering if we could leverage this engine rather than individuals having
code such an implementation in each receiver. Great code space, time saver
and centrally managed...

Thoughts ?? K