Re: 1wire schema

  • Subject: Re: 1wire schema
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:24:00 +0000

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:51:23PM +0100, Patrick Lidstone (Personal
e-mail)
wrote:
> Sorry Stuart, perhaps I'm being thick, but I'm not sure how it really
> helps with decoding data from the Weather Station?

OWFS is the one-wire file system, it basically opens up the 1wire net in a
more
recognisable fashion, you use normal unix tools to read them as files.

It has the advantage of being able to handle multiple subnets of 1wire
nets,
which the gateway won't do yet (because I don't have any), but has the
disadvantage of having to be installed by the end user, it's not a library
you
can compile in.

It's a very good idea and is used by the DIY HVAC project I beleive, but
perhaps
not suitable in an environment where devices & applications are
meant to be plug
and play, as is the case with xAP ...

--

-S