Re: Port Mapping Questions

  • Subject: Re: Port Mapping Questions
  • From: John B
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:57:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=jXl8iYxrAct8ftjbIB0FqcLfZBI28tXD9iOAKS03x2NIfyZX6bV3oDyaPQf-NNFQbxRB_0mI4eDCZbdlNzPwIg">lists@x...</a>>
Sent: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:58:18 +0000
To: <a
href="/group/xAP_developer/post?postID=q2OOMj1I-lQ_47ukPf8Wq52BwzVloIESCmNU_ZHdSE_P_zad9KxTqSq52nXfn8CgnA9izGvhWZtK0ESPXje6zG78uQ">xAP_developer@xxxxxxx</a>
Subject: Re: [xAP_developer] Port Mapping Questions

wrote:

> >I have additionally randomised the new base port level it starts
> >looking at so there is much less chance of a clash. Saves lots of
> >try/fail/try/fail attempts at start-up in the presence of other
xAPps.
> >Maybe somebody thinks this is another bad idea?
>
> Yes, I do - it means there is no startup consistency anymore, and
> Viewer starts showing up started/stopped/started xAPps as different
> entries in the tree. Not what I want.

Shouldn't viewer recognise distinct entries by their source name? I.e. not
by
their IP/port number combination?
So, if an application shows up using port 50000, then the PC it's running
on is
rebooted and things start up in a different order and it ends up being on
port
49981, then this shouldn't result in multiple entries in viewer?

Regards,

John